Montreal Impact not ruling out leaving province to commence training

Montreal Impact not ruling out leaving province to commence training

MONTREAL — If the MLS decides to resume its suspended season, Montreal Impact players may have to leave the province to train if they aren’t permitted to practice on the outdoor pitch of the Nutrilait Centre.

It’s one scenario put forth by team president Kevin Gilmore during a recent telephone interview with The Canadian Press.

Gilmore said the Impact are one of six teams whose players aren’t permitted to partake in individual training sessions due to strict public health rules, despite guidelines put forth by the league on May 1 and which came into effect five days later.

Two other Canadian teams — Toronto FC and the Vancouver Whitecaps — have resumed training.

The league protocols stipulate that grounds must be divided into four squares of equal size that only one player at a time can use to respect physical distancing measures.

Players are required to take turns arriving on the field, wearing a mask when entering and leaving the pitch, and undergoing a body temperature test upon arrival at the facility.

However, Gilmore said the Impact were refused a request to open its training facility by the city’s regional health authority on May 7, and authorities have not budged since then.

Meanwhile, rumours started to circulate in recent days that the MLS could resume its season this summer, with all teams playing out of Orlando without any spectators present.

Gilmore wouldn’t discuss the rumours, saying the situation is constantly evolving. But the soccer club’s president said while he’s concerned with the health and safety of his players, he’s also worried about the preparation of his team on a competitive level.

“If we do come back and you come to the common site and you haven’t trained individually or even in small groups yet, you’re at a disadvantage,” Gilmore said.

“Honestly, we will have to start looking, maybe, to take the team, get out of town and go to train elsewhere … we will have no choice,” Gilmore said. “It’s not as if athletes of this level can prepare to return to play overnight.”

Gilmore said they’ve even checked with clubs in other markets to see whether it would be possible to accommodate the Impact.

The club’s inability to hold individual workouts at their training facility has proven costly, with the club announcing Wednesday that midfielder Steeven Saba will be sidelined eight to 12 weeks after breaking his left foot ‘on a routine jog” near his home in Montreal.

“It is guaranteed that he does not break his foot while running at the Nutrilait Center,” Gilmore said of Saba, a 27-year-old Haitian international who joined Montreal after attending the 2020 training camp as a trialist.

Provincial health authorities allowed certain outdoor activities to resume this week, for recreational purposes, notably golf and tennis.

The province also announced this week it will allow gatherings of 10 people or less from three households to gather outdoors, while keeping with physical distancing measures.

Gilmore is of the opinion that MLS-proposed measures meet the province’s five criteria for allowing certain activities to resume outlined by Isabelle Charest, a former Olympic athlete and the province’s junior education minister.

Charest said the province is working with federations to adapt different sports to meet COVID-19 public health guidelines and discussions are ongoing to allow certain professional sports and amateur athletes to get back to training again.

MLS suspended play March 12, two weeks into the season, due to the pandemic. Each club had played two games.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 21, 2020.

Michel Lamarche, The Canadian Press

soccer

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Central Alberta naturalists fear pristine headwaters will be contaminated by coal mine

Chutes of the Ram constitute one of Earth’s ‘most beautiful’ spots

Every Albertan eligible for COVID-19 testing

22 new cases confirmed on Friday

Playgrounds, skate park, ball diamonds open in Eckville

The facilities in town re-opened the afternoon of May 28 with restrictions

Fast-food restaurants serving up free non-medical masks

Free protection will come in packages of four

Playgrounds and public washrooms facilities reopened in Lacombe County

County public washrooms are equipped with alcohol-based hand sanitizer

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

Eckville Echo is firmly committed to seeing you through the changes ahead, but we need your help

COVID-19 cancelled their wedding plans, so they married on a B.C. mountaintop

Ceremony was live streamed to friends and family around the world

International student worry about pandemic as decisions loom on travel to Canada

Zohra Shahbuddin is weighing whether to enrol this fall or put off coming to Canada until next year

How finding a ministerial home for CMHC caused ‘madness’ in November

The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. manages the national housing strategy

‘What do we do now?’ Labour dispute at Regina refinery nears 6 months

About 700 unionized workers were locked out by refinery owner, Federated Co-operatives Ltd., Dec. 5

Police need more than an unverified tip to avoid drug-case entrapment: top court

Police need more than an unverified tip to avoid drug-case entrapment: top court

N.S. police received warnings in 2011 about man who would become mass killer

N.S. police received warnings in 2011 about man who would become mass killer

Trudeau acknowledges ‘anti-black racism’ in U.S., with ‘work to do in Canada’

Trudeau acknowledges ‘anti-black racism’ in U.S., with ‘work to do in Canada’

Want a mask with your Big Mac? Alberta handing out masks at drive-thrus

Want a mask with your Big Mac? Alberta handing out masks at drive-thrus

Most Read