Golf Canada cancels national amateur championships for 2020 season

Golf Canada cancels national amateur championships for 2020 season

OAKVILLE, Ont. — Golf Canada cancelled all of its amateur golf competitions for the duration of the 2020 season on Monday due to the ongoing health concerns and government restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The national organizing body for golf had previously announced the cancellation or postponement of a number of its junior and amateur competitions scheduled through mid-June.

Golf Canada annually conducts more than 20 championships nation-wide which play host to more than 3,000 domestic and international athletes.

The 107th Canadian Women’s Amateur Championship, one of the top-ranked women’s amateur events in the world that attracts many international athletes, was scheduled to begin in five weeks at The Royal Montreal Golf Club from July 21-24.

In addition, the 116th Canadian Men’s Amateur which features a 264-player field was scheduled to take place at The Glencoe Golf & Country Club in Calgary from Aug. 3-6 – marking the 125th anniversary of this storied championship.

The cancellations will mark the first time since the Second World War that these two national championships will not be conducted.

Golf Canada also announced that the National Orders of Merit will not be awarded in 2020.

Golf Canada and Golf Ontario previously announced the cancellation of the 7th annual World Junior Girls Championship, scheduled for Sept. 30 – Oct. 3 at Angus Glen Golf Club in Markham, Ont.

The RBC Canadian Open, the country’s men’s professional championship, was originally supposed to be held at Toronto’s St. George’s Golf and Country Club last week but was cancelled on April 16.

The CP Women’s Open, Canada’s women’s professional championship, is still scheduled for early September at Vancouver’s Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 15, 2020.

The Canadian Press

Golf

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Sylvan Lake woman says Town’s response time to concerns isn’t enough

Glenda Jackman says it took almost a month for the Town to act on her complaint about a playground

Central zone down to 19 active COVID-19 cases on Thursday

Provincially, 158 new COVID-19 cases were identified

Alberta politicians reject throne speech

Premier Kenney disapointed with lack of support for Alberta energy

Wolf Creek Public Schools receive $2.5 M for COVID costs

Funds will largely go towards PPE and additional cleaning, sanitizing

Central zone has 20 active cases of COVID-19

Province identified 143 new cases across Alberta on Wednesday

Alberta’s top health official says province is not in a second wave of COVID-19

Dr. Deena Hinshaw said Thursday that Alberta had identified 158 new cases in the province

Millet Agriplex to become a hub for indoor soccer

Wetaskiwin Soccer Club will be operating out of the Millet Agriplex this season.

‘We’re losing what makes the Parkland so distinctive,” conservation specialist says

The Lacombe district will lose two sites with provincial park status: JJ Collett and the Narrows

Ermineskin Kindergarten has a confirmed case of COVID-19

The school has shut down and Cohort 2 is in self-isolation

Hundreds die from opioid overdoses in Alberta as COVID-19 pandemic hit

Jason Luan said the province is not alone in seeing a rise in deaths,

Wetaskiwin/ Camrose RCMP conduct a joint forces initiative with Camrose Police Service

The multifaceted joint forces initiative with on Sept. 23, 2020 proved very successful.

‘Won’t be gathering for Thanksgiving:’ Trudeau says COVID-19 2nd wave underway

In all, COVID-19 has killed about 9,250 people in Canada

Most Read